Energy assistance available
More households may qualify for heating assistance this winter thanks to changes in eligibility requirements for the Wisconsin Home Energy Assistance Program (WHEAP). WHEAP is a federally funded heating assistance program that can ease the energy burden faced by customers with limited financial resources.
Under the eligibility requirements, customers at or below 60 percent of the stateís median income may qualify for WHEAP assistance, including:
Customers who did not qualify for assistance a few years ago may now be eligible. To determine eligibility, applicants must provide the following to their local social services or energy services office:
- A single person earning up to $24,319 per year;
- A family of four with an income of up to $46,768.
WHEAP applications are being accepted through May 15, 2012; however, customers are encouraged to apply as early as possible. To begin the energy assistance application process, customers may call 866-432-8947 (toll free) or visit www.homeenergyplus.wi.gov for more information.
- Proof of income for the past three months for all household members 18 years or older;
- Social Security cards for everyone in the household;
- Utility bills (heating and electric) for the past 12 months;
- If applicable, a rent certificate or landlordís statement verifying that heat is included in the rent.