Make Your Holidays Merry - and Safe
As your locally-owned and operated utility, we want to help you use energy wisely as you celebrate the holiday season. Here are some tips:
Season's Greetings and Happy New Year from Waupun Utilities!
- Each string of holiday lights should be checked before use. Strings with frayed cords, damaged plugs or light sockets should be discarded.
- Use lights according to their intended purpose. Do not use indoor lights outdoors – they may not be waterproof and could present a safety issue. Some lights are approved for both indoor and outdoor use.
- Use only lights and extension cords approved by Underwriters Laboratory (UL). The packaging will clearly state UL-approved or UL-listed.
- Extension cords are for temporary indoor use. Keep them away from moisture, heat and metal pipes. Never put them under rugs – they can become frayed or cracked.
- Do not overload electrical outlets and circuits. Connect decorative lights to power strips that have a built-in circuit breaker.
- Remember to unplug indoor lights when you go to bed.
- Always turn off holiday lights before you leave home.
- Keep trees, boxes and wrapping paper away from heat sources.
- Remind children never to touch lights or plugs with wet hands.