Stay Warm and Safe with Space Heaters
To ensure that your family stays safe while keeping warm, follow these simple tips:
- When purchasing a new space heater, choose one that is certified by a national testing laboratory.
- Place the heater on a level, hard, nonflammable surface, never on a rug.
- Keep small children away from space heaters.
- Make sure space heaters are at least three feet away from bedding and drapes.
- Avoid running the power cord under rugs. Placing items on top of the cord could cause the cord to overheat and cause a fire.
- Do not use an extension cord unless it is absolutely necessary.
- Never leave a space heater unattended. Make sure to turn it off before you go to sleep or leave the room.