Give Your Electric Bill a Vacation
Before you pack the suitcases and kids into the car for vacation, there are a few ways to save energy and money while you are away.
Here are a few ways to save energy and money while you are away:
- Unplug your television, computer, clock radio and microwave oven. They use electricity as long as they’re plugged in, even when they’re turned off.
- Turn up the thermostat to save on air conditioning bills. Do not turn your thermostat off before you leave, as a too-hot house can become humid and invite mold.
- Switch the water heater to the “vacation” setting or the lowest temperature.
- Turn off most of the lights in the house. Connect a few lights to an automatic timer to give your house a lived-in look.
- Leave your refrigerator plugged in. Mildew can grow in an unplugged refrigerator after just a few days.